How to care for your Hammock and other Adventure Gear
Your outdoor gear can get pretty dirty between food or dirt stains, exposure to the elements and more. While sometimes we procrastinate cleaning our gear, it’s best to be proactive.
You know that tendency some of us have to get home from a trip and forget to fully unpack? Yeah, I know this one well. Then mirror this feeling with the gratitude you feel when you have great gear that's doing its job. Don't be lazy when it comes to unpacking:)
If you don't want to be caught off guard being unprepared, it's crucial you care for your gear. You really never know when that next spontaneous adventure will come up, and the last thing you want is to find last month's trail mix in your backpack.
Below are some helpful tips to assist you in keeping your gear clean and dry for your next adventure.
Caring for your gear:
Properly caring for your gear can make it last longer and keep money in your pocket. Here are some tips to assist you in making it last longer:
- Fully unpack and clean out all your gear after each trip. Take an inventory of each item, and make sure it's ready to go for the next trip. Shake out those crumbs!
- Make sure you keep your gear in a cool and dry place during storage. Storing it in a warm/damp environment may cause damage to the material and discoloration. I use clothes hangers to hang up my smaller backpacks, and hang my backpacking packs up on a wall hook.
- Let your gear breathe. Sometimes we forget that gear needs air! Instead of keeping your gear in a stuff sack, wrap it up loosely in a bag so it can breathe.
- Carry a repair kit. A simple issue can be an easy repair. Don't let a small hole or tear go too long...
How to clean your hammock: (tips for other gear too.)
- Remove your carabiners and set them aside prior to washing. (Make sure you don't wash the carabiners, as this can damage them or your washing equipment)
- You can either hand wash or machine wash your hammock:
This is a really simple and washing machine-free approach. Just fill your bathtub, kiddie pool, or other water container with cool water and some of ourHammock Soap or use some mild detergent. Use your hands or a soft bristle brush to wash and scrub away the dirt on your hammock. Rinse off your hammock once you’re finished. It’s that easy!
If you have easy access to a washing machine, this is by far the easiest way to clean your hammock. Many hammocks can be washed in a washing machine (with no agitator). Just add a little dose of mild detergent and wash it on a gentle cycle in cool water. Make sure you never use bleach and wash only your hammock in the load!
- Hang to dry. (We would not recommend putting your hammock in the dryer.) Do not stuff it back in its sack until it’s fully dry.
- Replace your carabiners and get back to hanging in a nice clean hammock. Wooohooo!!
If you’re cleaning a backpack, boots or most any other gear see your cleaning instructions, but it’s amazing what a little soap and water will do to restore your gear. Like your hammock, be sure to let your gear dry completely before storing it away.
We hope you found this information helpful! Now get out there and adventure on!